I just found out the formal is on Thursday night. We’ll give you the option, if you wish, to pull your 6K test on Thursday morning instead of Friday. Please let me know if you wish to do that so I can plan accordingly.
Before you know it, we’ll be racing against OTHER schools’ athletes! Five days after you return from your holiday break is our FIRST indoor regatta of the winter season! We are hoping for a BIG Westdale turnout at the Leander Indoor Rowing Championships right here in Hamilton!
“COACH TOM, I REALLY WANT TO RACE AT THIS REGATTA!!! HOW DO I GET AN ENTRY????!!!!!”
Glad you asked! Here’s how to do it:
1. Ask your coach which category you are in.
2. Go to regattacentral.com
3. On the yellow bar, you will see ‘Sign Up’. Hit that and create an account.
4. Go back to the main page and hit “Regattas” on the top menu bar.
5. On the dropdowns, make sure you’re at Upcoming Regattas” and “Canada”.
6. Click on the “Leander Indoor Rowing Championships”.
7. Click on “Register” in the top right corner.
8. In the Club/Team affiliation box, if it shows Westdale, great. If not, hit “New Club” and type in Westdale Secondary School and hit OK.
9. That will bring up a “Contact details” page. Scroll to the bottom and hit “NEXT”. If it doesn’t let you do that and asks for contact info, fill in the form and then hit Next.
10. That will bring you to the Entry page. Click on “Submit Entry” for the event the coaches have given you.
11. Fill in the info it asks for, which is your 2K erg score (novices will not have this number yet–leave it blank). In the athlete box, start typing your name–it SHOULD autofill. If not, no worries.
12. Don’t worry about the ‘Athlete Bio”, unless you really want to put something there.
13. Hit Save and the payment page will come up. Simply pay for the entry, and you’re done.
“BUT COACH TOM….I DON’T HAVE A RACING UNIFORM. CAN I STILL RACE FOR WESTDALE?”
If you would like a race uniform by race day, you can see if Coach Mike has one that fits you. If not, you can race in something that hopefully says Westdale Warriors on it. Or if not, a green t-shirt. If you are racing for the outdoor season, you must have a Westdale racing unisuit–ordering instructions are on the main page.
It has already started, but here is the rest of the program, taking us up to December 30th, which is our first (of two) Fortino’s Fundraisers!
Test Week starts this Friday with 6K tests for experienced rowers who did not do RADAR. Those rowers are welcome to do the test again, but are not obligated to do so.
We W0ULD, however, like those rowers to do another 2K test on Friday the 21st. (guessing most of you would like to re-do those as well!)
Greetings from Dublin! Here is Monday’s training session! I will publish the rest of the new cycle when I get back. See y’all Tuesday!
MONDAY: Experienced rowers: Women: 10,000 metres as quickly as they can. Men: 11,500 metres as quickly as they can.
Hug a llama day was a big success. We had our first full llama costume (thanks Liam) , a tiny llama, llama blankets as well as various llama facts.
The big event was our team erg challenge with Team Machos narrowly beating out Team Hembras. The margin of victory was less than 900 meters with both teams going over 40,000 meters (aka 40 km). Tom will be happy with that level of meters.
Thanks to everyone that came out today.
Disclaimer: No llamas were hurt or injured during the erg challenge.
Thursday is our annual Hug a Llama Day!!! Everything is about the llama so come dressed as a llama, or wear llama wool, or come prepared with an interesting llama fact. Anyone not in the llama mood gets to do extra erg time.
There will be prizes!
We know that ergs aren’t the most favourite of devices for rowers. However, it is a FANTASTIC tool to make you faster on the water. The more metres/kilometres you do, the better you will be. MIKES MAKE CHAMPIONS!
The standings are below. We have some pretty close races, especially in the novice men’s category! The categories are: Sr Women, Sr/Jr Men, Jr Women, Novice Men, Novice Women.
We have not decided on how we will do this yet, but there WILL be a recognition of mileages at the year end banquet in June.
If you aren’t listed below and wish to know where you stand, please feel free to send me a text (289-527-5800)
1. CHLOE: 71,104 metres
2. SEQUOIA: 57090 metres
3. FIORA: 55,364 metres
4. SERENA: 48,308 metres
5. BECCA: 47,996 metres
SR. MEN/JR MEN
1. GEON: 74,711 metres
2. ALEX B: 72,718 metres
3. LIAM: 72,713 metres
1. CELINA: 70,870 metres
2. RYANN: 67.891 metres
3. MAGGIE: 63,968 metres
1. EMMA: 31,695 metres
2. GRACE: 27,653 metres
3. SETA: 26,737 metres
1. DAVIN: 39,727 metres
2. CALEB: 35,345 metres
3. BOZA: 34,444 metres
4. JOHNSON: 33,654 metres
5. MATT: 33,150 metres
There are only 3,324 metres separating 6th (32,739 metres) and 12th (29,415)