We will be switching up the coaching roles for the next two weeks starting on Monday, November 23. Peter will likely be with Mike on days Madison is not here. I will be with you the whole two weeks. Separate from this post, I will also put up next week’s training plan. Leading into that, I’d like to lay out my vision for this group and what I would like to see from you.
What is most important to me is that you not only get better and faster, but that you SEE you are getting better and faster. You will hear me use the term PB a lot. A Personal Best is “doing the best you have ever done”. It’s also a stepping stone to the next level and the next PB. You can set a PB in ANY training endeavour. If you run around our Westdale block for 45 minutes and achieve 9 laps, and on the next one you do 9.5 laps, that is a PB. If you do a 30 minute erg one day and do 6400 metres, then come back the following week and do 6450 metres, that is a PB. If you do weights and find the current weight you are using is too light and then move up by 10 pounds, that is a PB. And if your 2K PB is 8:15 and you do 8:05 next week, that is one heck of a PB!
If I’ve never coached you before, here’s what I’m about.
- We will push you where needed, but sooner or later, the push needs to come from yourselves.
- Work as hard as you can to the best of your ability. No coach can expect an athlete to give more than they’re capable of, but it’s also incumbent on the athlete to give us the best that’s in them on that particular day. You won’t set a PB EVERY day, but if you’re training right and working hard, you will see your numbers getting better and better…and set PBs on a lot of days.
- The workouts that are set up are not easy, but they’re there to push you to a peak performance when the time comes. Don’t be afraid of failing if you are giving your best…..One day’s failure is the incentive to achieve the following day’s success….which is just a fancy way of saying “if at first you don’t succeed, try try again”!! It’s how you get better.
- I encourage you to think outside the box, because the ONLY barrier to believing you CAN, is thinking that you CAN’T. Over the next two weeks, I will be able to give you a solid target for what I think you can achieve for the indoors. These numbers won’t be guesses….they will be achievable. Whether you hit them or not is up to you, but they will be given with the faith that you CAN achieve them!
- If you have any questions, please ask.