Hey all, I understand not everyone was able to purchase a unisuit. Could all the returning athletes from last year bring their Westdale racing shirts for the new athletes to wear? Thanks!
Daily Archives: May 13, 2023
General Regatta Information
Hi Westdale Athletes,
This is just some general information about regattas:
For the mother’s say Regatta there are many signs that will direct you or your parents on where to park. When you get on to Henley island just keep following the signs and eventually they will bring you to a big parking lot in front of the boat club. As Meegan mentioned in the previous post, parking is $5.
- Parents typically go to an area where tents are set up along the race course. To get there all they need to do is enter the opening to the St. Catherines rowing club and turn left. The parent’s tents are located on the far left side of the race course.
- It can get very cold with the wind so definitely bring sweaters and blankets!
Here is a very helpful list created by Emerson’s parents:
-$ for food trucks/swag/food/cooler
-LOTS of water (there is sometimes a water truck but in case there isn’t definitely come prepared with lots of water! )
Bring lots of food!!! Regattas are typically long, tiring days of racing so bring what you need to fuel yourself for the day! Remember that many of you are racing more than once so you need to have the energy to do so! I would recommend bringing lots of snacky foods and a lunch. I would also bring energy drinks such as Gatorade in order to quickly recharge after races.
–When you arrive at the boat club there will be an athletes entrance where you will see all the trailers. You can walk over there and find the Leander trailer. Bring everything you need to race with you so that you have it there when it’s time to launch.
-Bring your ID!!! You need this to race!
-You also need to race in a unisuit so make sure you bring one!!!!
-Bring sunscreen and sunglasses as well as a hat or visor for on water (especially if you’re stroke or bow! )
Here is a very helpful list created by Claire:
– Food items (snacks, lunch, more and more snacks. Healthy options with lots of protein and calories are best)
– A chair
– An extra pair of undergarments for EVERY race and then one whole outfit to drive home in (you WILL get soaked every race)
– WATER, water and more water
– A long sleeve that you can wear over your uni for sun protection
– DO NOT FORGET YOUR UNISUIT
– rain gear if possible (just in case I’d bring an umbrella or rain jacket)
– Trash bags or plastic bags for all your wet clothes
– Book, homework, game (something to do)
– Money- you may want to buy swag or food etc, I recommend bringing some no matter what.
– Toilet paper
– Hand sanitizer
– Deodorant (just bring it.)
– You may want a light blanket or picnic blanket to lay on for a nap
Food items athletes tend to have:
-Pita and hummus
-Juice boxes or gatorade
-nut granola bars
Super straight forward at this regatta! We will go over it with all bow seats and coxies tomorrow!
-Make sure you know what time you are racing at and make sure you and your crew are completely prepared. It will be a very busy day so please communicate as crews to make sure your boat is rigged on time and that you are ready to go as soon as your category is called!
Super excited for you all to race tomorrow!